The fall season of justice, and injustice, is in full swing.
Defending the Pretrial Fairness Act
Please give your priority attention to the resources that you will find at the tab Getting Involved for
- informing yourself about the Pretrial Fairness Act, which eliminate cash bail in Illinois on January 1, and
- taking action to defend the Act against attempts to repeal it or gut it.
Take a moment to use the convenient link to contact your legislators, asking them to join the Coalition to End Money Bond in combatting misinformation about the Act.
Reports and Resources for Returning Citizens
There are links to some important new resources for returning citizens under the Release and Reentry tab, and in the documents at the Books, Reports and Articles tab, you will find links to new reports on electronic monitoring and on the extreme racial disparity in wrongfully convictions in this country.
In the documents at the Upcoming Events tab, you will find details of a number of upcoming events, including:
- Chicago Appleseed’s Collaboration for Justice event on Tuesday October 18:
- The annual event of the John Howard Association, on Wednesday October 26: https://www.thejha.org/events/blakinger, and
- The annual Justice Rising Benefit Gala of The Lawndale Christian Legal Center on Thursday November 3: https://lclc.networkforgood.com/events/47352-lclc-s-11th-annual-justice-rising-benefit-gala-the-power-of-restorative-justice
The revised documents in these and other sections of the website continue to contain links to the wealth of resources that have been accumulating over the past months and years, to provide the basis for each of us to define and pursue our roles in the efforts to reform the criminal legal system.
Please feel free to let others who may be interested know of these resources.